At the heart of Girls on the Run/Heart & Sole are the coaches and volunteers. Your dedication and desire to positively influence the lives of girls between the 3rd and 8th grade is valued and appreciated. Without you, this program would not be possible in the schools we partner with.Coach Registration
Role of a Coach
Each coach is responsible for mentoring and inspiring a team of girls throughout the 9 weeks of after school programing. Each new coach will attend a coaches training session that will familiarize each coach with the Girls on the Run and Girls on Track curriculum. Curriculum is divided into 19 lessons and all the materials, known as “coach’s boxes” are provided to you by the local Girls on the Run council. Girls on the Run lessons are designed to build confidence and emotional health by incorporating fun physical activities. After 9 weeks of programming and training, the girls celebrate with a 5K run at Heritage Landing.
All Coaches will:
• Serve as role Models to the girls, both during and outside of sessions.
• Arrive Early, already dressed to begin.
• Honor the Girls on the Run Core Values.
• Attentively focus on the girls ensuring no one feels left out.
• Commit to attend all sessions of Girls on the Run/Girls on Track.
• Read information distributed by their council and attend required council meetings.
• Prepare in advance for each lesson.
• Start and end each session on time.
• Engage with assistant coaches.
• Ensure all required paperwork is completed and returned to you council.
• Return all curriculum and materials at the end of the season.
• Work to build a good relationship with site representatives (i.e. –School principal, guidance counselor, facility director) on behalf of Girls on the Run/Heart & Sole.
All Girls on the Run Volunteers must complete a background check prior to the start of the program. Please contact your GOTR site (school) for information about their background check procedures and forms. If you have any questions, please contact Sue at (231)759-7909 ext. 256.
For more information how to get involved with Girls on the Run or Heart & Sole or to become a coach, please contact Council Director Sue Gifford at; email Sue or call Sue at (231)759-7909 ext. 256.